Wednesday, September 22, 2010

And I go to the Pearl Street Diner

I will confess that I did not sleep well. Horribly, as a matter of issue, but that provided me with motivation that allowed me to have a productive morning.

I was able to get some chores done and I was showered and out of the house before 8.

And I needed breakfast.




So, last week the Pearl Street Diner opened up and I was looking forward to it. Diner food is one of my weaknesses. Not like Kryponite but more like I see it causing my eventual death, congealed fat oozing from my pores.

The Peal Street Diner may be the place that provides this fat.

First of all, the space is gorgeous. A small counter and eighteen to twenty tables with an open kitchen. The space looks (as well it should) brand spanking new.

Diners are not about the space though. They are about the food.

For the drink, coffee. Diner coffee is generally horrible and this was better than that, but it was not as good as three other places in rock throwing distance that serve coffee.




For the food, I wanted to try the Hungry Man. Double Meat, Double Eggs, Double Bread, Double Home Fries.

In a word, perfect.

The Home Fries were under seasoned but that may be a function of my palate. The bacon was soft and crisp, which is tough to pull off, and the sausages were wonderful. The eggs were cooked with simplicity and competence, and the toast, while underdone, was covered in a luscious amount of butter.

My server was friendly and attentive, though she did forget the Tabasco.

As of October 1st, the spot is going to be open all day Friday and Saturday (to feed the hungry hoards on Pearl Street), but for now, they are open Monday through Friday, 7 am until 3 am.

Coffee and the Hungry Man came to $8 and change and for diner food downtown, I heartily (heh!) recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.