Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So...you want to be a geek?

Part of being a geek is an obsession with pop culture.

To that end, the following is media that I believe is critical for geekiness.

The Five Novels (or series) You Need To Read:

Neuromancer
Dune
Starship Troopers
KSR's Mars Trilogy
Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space Series

(Honorable Mentions: Accelerando & Cryptonomicon)

Five Movies You Need to Own:

Blade Runner
Aliens
2001: A Space Odyssey
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Brazil

(Honorable Mentions: A Clockwork Orange, Alien, Children of Men, Planet of the Apes)

7 comments:

  1. Okay, what am I if I'm obsessed with pop culture and couldn't care less about science fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm embarrassed. I, apparently, am a horrible geek.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sarah Then you are self selecting and not a geek.

    @Shauna Everyone has their own list. Is Neuromancer the only one you have read?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So science fiction is a precondition of geekery?

    What if I really liked space or chemistry or algebra or...something else, plus pop culture? What would I be then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, it is okay for you to be a nerd...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So your definition of geek requires science fiction, and anything that doesn't feature sci/fi is nerd?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Largely in jest, everyone can be otaku about something...I choose Speculative Fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Sign your name.