Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Charles was a bad man...

I am not a huge fan of Little House, but...I always thought there was something off...now I know.  Charles was trying to provoke a war.  

In reading some of the many books about the Little House novels, McClure learned to further spin out the books' fantasies from the hard reality of the family's life, as in the fact that the little house on the prairie itself was an illegal homestead.

"That's something that was never really mentioned in the books, that Pa really was probably very knowingly occupying illegal land, hoping that it would eventually open up for homesteading. There's kind of no excusing Pa on those grounds," McClure says. "At the same time, I think I appreciated the book for at least asking some of the hard questions. It's Laura herself who dares to ask the question, 'Why are we here anyway if this is the Indians' land?' "

An Author Returns To 'The Little House' : NPR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.