Monday, May 2, 2011

What does the CD really need?

Every time someone asks the question, "What is Albany missing?" someone (often "Me too"'d) always responds with "An Ethiopian restaurant".

Really?

That's what Albany needs?!?

Now, I like Ethiopian food. I do. Honestly. I get a craving for it once or twice a year, but it is not a strong craving. It is not like heroin, or puppies' blood, but more like watching M*A*S*H reruns after a night of imbibing. Something that is fun at the time, but never necessary.

An Ethiopian restaurant is a nice to have, but what does the area need to have?

I have suggestions (of course).


  • Public Transportation that runs later as well as serving more areas.  Think of a late night/early morning bus that runs from Albany to Saratoga?  Would you be more willing to party in Saratoga?  
  • Jobs.  We should be working to create a culture that can provide jobs for all the students that matriculate in the area, so those who want to stay can.  Think about the great students from Siena, Union, RPI, and Skidmore that we lose every spring.  (SUNYA kids can go back to Long Island and tan and tear up neighborhoods down there, and I am not going to say anything about St. Rose.)
What do you see as a need for the region?

4 comments:

  1. The CD clearly needs a MONORAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth Like a genuine, Bona fide, Electrified, Six-car Monorail! What'd I say?
    Ned Flanders: Monorail!
    Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
    Patty & Selma: Monorail!
    Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail! [crowd chants `Monorail' softly and rhythmically]
    Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud...
    Lyle Lanley: It glides as softly as a cloud.
    Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?
    Lyle Lanley: not on your life my Hindu friend,
    Chief Wiggum: The ring came of my pudding can
    Lyle Lanley: Lend my pen-knife my good man,
    I swear its springfields only choice, throw up your hands and raise your voice
    Everyone: Monorail, Monorail, MONORAIL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your SUNYA comment is inappropriate.

    St. Rose is a pubic hair above Bryant and Stratton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @BIP I have no clue who you are, and I am unwilling to try to figure out. However, I believe my SUNYA comment to be accurate. Aside from a handful of people, most of the SUNYA alums I know offer nothing but DUIs and STDs to whatever area they decide to infest. St. Rose does offer baby sitters though.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Sign your name.