Sunday, May 20, 2012

Poached Eggs and the Lack of Perfection

My love of poached eggs is well documented.

Last week, at Stella's Diner in Syracuse, I was disappointed because the yolk was served to me broken to me in the bowl. Now, I know that some people serve poached in a bowl for various reasons, and I understand and accept them, but broken in the bowl is unacceptable. I did not say anything while eating last week because the likelihood of me going there again is/was low.

Then I had this breakfast at Manory's...

The eggs were overcooked and the yolk was broken in the bowl. I asked the server, because I heard new cooks being trained, to mention something, but she looked unconcerned, at best, about my issue.

Poached eggs are not difficult. They are cooking 101. Sometimes the yolks break. When that happens, you drop another egg. You do not serve them. Duncan's, which is much maligned, knows to do this. That when I mentioned it to the server, I received an unconcerned look, was...at least to me...a breakfast foul.

I am not willing to give up on Manory's but...what would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.