Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Day in the Berkshires


While TEA and my father went for a walk yesterday, I made some astoundingly good breakfast sandwiches which had a secret ingredient.

Afterwards, TEA and I went into town in search of the comic book shop. We found Fantasy Realms in Pittsfield, where TEA picked up Superman #700, Brightest Day: Green Lantern Corps #49 and The Flash's ring. TEA was impressed with the shop, which is in the process of re-inventory right now, and the owner was great!

After that, TEA decided that he wanted to do some fishing. He did well, and my father was a competent assistant to the great white fisherman. (After TEA had settled down, my father and I realized that in the event of an Apocalypse, we are both f****d when it comes to living off the land.)

TEA's allergies were bothering him, so after fishing, he went to take a nap, my father decided to rest in the sun, and I...well...I read the comics that TEA got earlier in the day.

TEA ended up napping for about three hours, which proves that non-drowsey Children's Benedryl isn't worth the name.

At that point we were hungry, and TEA thought that wings sounded like a good idea.


We headed down to the Olde Forge Restaurant, which has a wonderful variety of craft beers. I had the Newport Storm IPA while TEA has a Saranac Root Beer (funny story, when TEA got his draft root beer while we were waiting for our table at the bar, a woman loudly informed us that we couldn't give that to a child as it had alcohol. "No, it doesn't," I replied. "YES, IT DOES." The bartender set her straight quickly, but...how incompetent does she think that I am? Really? I would give my kid a pint f beer in a bar? I would think that I know a little better than that.) and then it was time to decide what to eat, which TEA decided quickly and then proceeded to read one of his comics.

I had a sandwich (which was okay) and TEA and my father each wings. My father had hot wings (which were tasty but not too spicy) and TEA had a house style (and I am forgetting the name) that tasted of curry, brown sugar, cinnamon and Unicorn smiles.
They were so tasty.

After dinner, we went out for ice cream, and there was a mishap with a cone collapsing and my father making a great save, the return drive to my dad's place (singing Journey all the way) and sitting outside on a cool summer night with nice fire going.

So...all-in-all...I engaged in geekery, I spent a good amount of time on a boat, had yummy food and beer, and ended the day sunburned and sore. It was an almost perfect day and I am glad that I was able to share it with TEA and my father.

(A Very Special Thanks to PJ who told me to try The Black Keys - Brothers, which is great chill by a lake music and I have been listening to it as I have been composing this post, out on a deck, with the sun coming down on me.)

1 comment:

  1. Alcohol in root beer? Wow! People never cease to amaze me with their ideas about food.

    It sounds like you had a lovely day!

    BTW, I am wondering what the secret ingredient was in those sandwiches...I could guess but that would take me all day.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Sign your name.