Wednesday, July 6, 2011

And I admit that I sing to myself and occasionally it is the Bangles...

(I am writing this because my brother told me to, because it is funny, and because I do try to do what he asks of me.)

I have written about my habit of singing out-loud (in the shower, walking down the street, sitting next to someone in a truck) before and anyone who has spent more than two hours with me has heard me break out spontaneously. One of my friends, who I do not think believed me, picked me up early at my apartment, and knowing that I was running late, I texted her telling her that the door was unlocked and the coffee was hot and that she should make her self at home until I was ready. She entered, got herself coffee, and relaxed with Curly (this was two years ago...maybe three) and she listened. I thought that I was making good time, and I was happily singing "This Charming Man" unaware that my friend had already arrived.

When I came up the stairs and saw her sitting on the couch, and then heard the laughter in her voice, I knew my secret had been "exposed".

I am not generally embarrassed by my behavior (largely because I do not care) but in this case, I am not at all. This is fun, goofy, and shows that I am not generally self-conscious around the people who have heard me break out into song. It shows that I am comfortable with you. It is a trust thing, and feel honored if you hear me say "We don't need no walkie-talkie" outloud.

"Get to the point"...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...what is the point?

The point is that last evening, I was un-self-consciously singing while I was in my bathroom. Little did I know (and whenever I use that phrase, I think of Stranger Than Fiction, which is really underrated and quite enjoyable...watch it and you will understand.) that my brother was in his bathroom. I started singing. With feeling.

What was the song?


Yep, I was singing the Bangles. Yep, it was Eternal Flame. No, I do not know why I was singing this particular song.

And had my brother not mentioned it, I would not have remembered singing it.

But...mention it he did.

"Hey, you do that blogging thing, right?"

"Well, not right now. I am reading something."

"Not what I mean. Next time you blog, it is important that you let everyone know that you were singing the Bangles, loudly, and really meaning it, while you were in the bathroom."

I did try to get him on camera, telling me (and the world) what he thought of my singing and my location, but he did not think that was a good idea.

So, little brother, here it is.

I am not embarrassed, nor should I be...

Is this yearning...an eternal flame?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.