Monday, August 29, 2011

90s Nostalgia

Nostalgia is a combination of two Greek words meaning "returning home" combined with "pain or ache". (I read this while in Boston last weekend and it stuck with me.)

Earlier in the week, Lux sent me a piece from Slate about showing the 1992 Reading Festival performance of Nirvana at this year's festival.



The Slate piece bothered me...for a couple of reasons...some of it is an inside baseball thing about Slate being contrarian when it comes to the general mood, and part of is how they will happily borrow ideas from New York Mag and slag them at the same time.

Mostly it is because the early 90s were different, because...well...they were my formative years. This is when I was a late teenager and young twenty-something. I have been spending a lot of one on one time with TEA lately, and I have been consuming his media in an effort to understand him and I am struck how different his view of the world is than mine it.

Then...I got to thinking about how to introduce this era to TEA.

TEA is too young for Nevermind, and too young for Ten (Do you think that Jeremy would cause nightmares?)

Lux and I had a conversation about hot to introduce TEA to my music and what would be appropriate for him, and all I could come up with is "Squeeze".

But...I know I am leaving bands out...

What late 80s or early 90s band would you introduce TEA to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.