Monday, January 24, 2011

Beers and Books


Let's Get Through the Important Parts
When: February 10, 2011 at 6:30 PM
Where: McGeary's
What: The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris
Why: Now this is the interesting part.

I love to read and most of my friends love to read. I like beer and most of my friends like beer. I like to talk about books and my friends like t talk about books. Therein lies the problem. How rarely does it work out that you read something, and you want to talk about it with your friends over beer but no one else has read the book yet?

So here is what I am suggesting...every six weeks or so, anyone who wants to gets together and has some beer and talk about a predetermined book. This shouldn't be in some wonky or academic style, but more in a cocktail party sort of way. Think back to a time when everyone was reading the same book without the need of a book club (which this is not) and it was something that was spoken about at cocktail parties. (Two differences being; Americans don't read and rarely attend cocktail parties.)

And for those of you who are single, think about it this way, if they are going to be here, you know that they like beer (hopefully good beer, but Utica Club is good too) and that they are able to read (and they attempted a piece of literary fiction). I think that may be the foundation for a relationship that eHarmony would be jealous of.

Please, if you have to buy the book, use your local book seller. I am a huge fan of the folks at the Bookhouse of Stuyvesant Plaza & Market Block Books.

Please share this with anyone you think may be interested.

If you are interested, please see the Event Posting on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book about a year ago, but I'll try to remember a few things worth discussing. I'm looking forward to it (and heard about it on All Over Albany).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I look forward to seeing you there.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Sign your name.