Sunday, February 27, 2011

A new day is dawning

Congratulation to the Union College Dutchmen! 2010-11 ECAC Regular Season Champions and Cleary Cup winners! 5-0 over Princeton!


It was not that it was a great game because objectively, it wasn't great hockey.

Union had three power play goals, further cementing their claim to having the best power play in the NCAA, and one short handed goal (Princeton had pulled their goalie to go up a two man advantage, forgetting or not caring about how good our PK team is.) and one goal at even strength.

It was not that it was Senior Night and this was the first class of seniors to have winning records all four seasons since Union moved to Division I.
It was not that Princeton seemed to be pressing.

It was a combination of all these things, and watching Twitter and Score Center for out of town updates on Yale and RPI (as well as Nebraska and Denver) and that Kinkaid was playing incredibly between the pipes, that made this game feel both thrilling and anti-climatic. After the second goal, I am fairly confident that we were going to win, and I was hoping for the shutout, but I was still...nervous.

This shouldn't be happening to Union. We are Union, come on? We are the laughing stock of the ECAC.

Or we were.

Now we are the champions.

I was happy, proud, and amazed. I would be lying if I covered up that there were tears.

Congratulations, Union Hockey and bring on the playoffs!

On a personal note, some of you remember that I stayed with my grandfather through many of his final nights, and on Nov. 12th, while he was still lucid, he and I talked about the Union v. RPI series that was going on that weekend, and that he was looking forward to see how the team was going to do throughout the season.

They did well, Grandpa, they did well.

(Photo Credit: Union Athletics)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.