Monday, May 16, 2011

Documenting Life While Not Experiencing It

But in an age when everyone is a picture-maker, and every situation a photo-op, there is the danger that we tend to become, one and all, producers. We look at things with a detached eye. We approach life with the lasciviousness of a wedding planner, rather than, say, with the party-hard engagement of one of the guests. There are other dangers as well: we come to think of ourselves as we would like to be photographed.

The Producers : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

I am often guilty of not living in the moment.  Capturing it while not experiencing it.  Part of it is that it takes me out of the moment on purpose, leaving me detached and aloof.  That is a self protective mechanism that I developed a long time ago.

I makes me think of Mark from RENT, who has become an archetype for this type of behavior.

2 comments:

  1. Ned, I heart you for this post and for sharing this story. This is a topic I have been thinking about for a while now... I like to photograph and document, but I am guilty of frequently "forgetting" my camera; I would rather fully experience the event most times.

    ~Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I am glad that you liked it and that you "heart me".

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Sign your name.