Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Song #6

Now, if I was listening to the original, it would not be a guilty pleasure. It would be a simple pleasure, but since one of the things that I like to listen to at weird times is a remake, it has to be a guilty pleasure. Like tinned oysters (which do have a place, thank you), remakes are pale reflections of the original without the subtly or nuance of the original.

Now that I have lowered your expectations...



Now, this video has a saving grace as it was directed by Michel Gondry (who directed one of my favorite films while being a non-rapey Frenchman) but the song...

Used for Donnie Darko (which I still find unwatchable) and then used in commercials, teen dramas, and trailers for television shows where the protagonist confronts something awful from his/her past, or...death at a wedding. It is also used subtly in film commercials where they producers know that you have no clue what the film is about but...they want you to know that the films is going to be both sad and thought provoking. I am surprised that it was not used in the trailer for "The Ice Storm".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.