Tuesday, March 23, 2010

FAU's Top 25 Albums!

FAU's 25 Top Albums for The Album Project:

Submitted on the condition that you disclose that my collection of "albums" has not really changed since 1996.

1) The Beatles - Rubber Soul (the perfect bridge between their pop years and their more experimental years)
2) Fugazi - 13 Songs (greatest opening bass riff EVER)
3) Led Zeppelin - III (too often overlooked)
4) Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (I've listened over and over and over again)
5) Paul McCartney - Unplugged (originally released as a limited edition, it was the first album that I RAN to the store to purchase)
6) Cake - Fashion Nugget (gave me faith that there was still good music to be recorded)
7) U2 - Zooropa (totally under appreciated and dismissed for far too long)
8) Billy Joel - Turnstiles (by far his best work)
9) Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (first time in years that I was excited when buying an album)
10) The Killers - Hot Fuss
11) Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
12) The Matrix - Music from the Motion Picture
13) Tomb Raider - Music from the Motion Picture (don't judge, just listen to it and enjoy)
14) Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste (because everyone needs an angry teenage album)
15) Nine Inch Nails - March of the Pigs (and a second for good measure)
16) The Buzzcocks - Operators Manual (essentially a greatest hits, but an awesome one)
17) Pearl Jam - Ten (so hard to pick between this one and VS)
18) Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bullocks
19) Moby - Play
20) The Who - Who's Next
21) The Velvet Underground - The Best of The Velvet Underground (yes, I know that it's the easy pick)
22) Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints
23) Dar Williams - Mortal City (I blame and thank Jester for this one)
24) Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars
25) Michael Jackson - Thriller (first LP I ever owned, how can it not be on here)

My personal metric for this was, "what are the 25 discs that I could listen to almost every song on and not really want to skip one track?"

Thanks and please keep sending those lists in!

6 comments:

  1. Moby, Nine Inch Nails, & The Killers... All things I contemplated. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Jesus Lizard and No Nirvana?
    I may have to revoke your 90s card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks P.

    Erik: I have Nirvana Unplugged on there. I enjoy that one the most for the variety.

    Jesus Lizard is a hard one. There is really no one album that I could listen to straight through. They are a really hard band to take in one sitting.

    And upon further reflection, the only change I would make is #25. I'd replace Thriller with They Might Be Giants - Flood. That Album evokes memories of High School, college and parenthood (I now play it for MLTU).

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh all right. By the way the Nirvana unplugged makes me sob like a baby. I can't listen to it without medication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are 90s cards?

    Where do I get one or has mine been revoked already?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you still have your 90s card but I'm not sure about your man card

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Sign your name.