Wednesday, December 29, 2010

And I am wide awake

Another day, another watching to clock turn to 4 am from the old person side (and not the good alcoholic side).

At least I am not worried about the state of geek culture like Patton Oswalt (whom I love, I really do, but...this? Really, bro?) and how we are turning into a sated commercial culture.  I am happily aware of the irony here, as Oswalt has a reoccurring role on Caprica which is never going to be completed.  Yes, I know how it ends (that's the beauty of a prequel) but the journey is the enjoyable part. For all of Oswalt's complaints about the weak Otaku of new consumer culture, his sin in thinking that it is a cultural movement.

Maybe this is because we are of a similar generation.  FAU and I were talking about how our children are growing up in an on-demand world and we were able to laugh about it.

Oswalt thinks that this is not a laughing matter though.

Maybe the Millennials are weak otaku or sated consumers, and maybe no good art will come out of their generation (I know that the music that they are making for the most part annoys the crap out of me.) but the following generation has an ability for cultural obsession and completeness that scares me with awesomeness.

TEA and his folks will be proud geeks, Patton.  You have nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Sign your name.